These days, more people than ever before are using technology and the internet to communicate. But how might you use technology to make a personal connection, and reach out with needed support and help when someone you know is in distress?
The mission of the Society for the Prevention of Teen Suicide, Inc. (SPTS) is to reduce the number of youth suicides (and attempted suicides) by encouraging public awareness through the development and promotion of educational training programs.
When SPTS needed to refresh its flagship online training program to meet the needs of managing emotionally at-risk students in the new digital learning environment, they partnered with AllenComm to add a series of helpful courses for educators, parents and teens.
“Working with AllenComm has been an amazing experience. The level of professionalism and passion that the team brings to the project is remarkable. We look forward to producing many more learning experiences with AllenComm”
DAWN DOHERTY, EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR
SOCIETY FOR THE PREVENTION OF TEEN SUICIDE
Working with AllenComm allowed SPTS to reformat and relaunch its Making Educators Partners in Youth Suicide Prevention course so that users could customize their experience to suit specific needs. AllenComm created a practical, user-friendly, interactive two-hour training course with role-playing to present suicide prevention methods in real-life scenarios.
SPTS also worked with AllenComm to develop Navigating Back to School; eight modules were created to help faculty, staff, parents, and students cope with the distress caused by the pandemic. Included were quick online resources to help support educators feeling the challenge of managing online remote classrooms.
Stand out results from the training courses include:
- Increased confidence and competence in all members of the school community
- Expanded teaching skills to address emotional distress-related learning challenges
- Increased awareness of Society for the Prevention of Teen Suicide in schools
- Bronze Horizon Interactive Award in Non-profit category
- Silver Horizon Interactive Award in Training / eLearning category
- Bronze Horizon Interactive Award in Non-profit / Advocacy category
- Silver Davey Award for General-Education for websites
- Silver Davey Award for Features-Best Virtual or Remote Experience for websites