PRI ENGAGES PHYSICIANS’ WITH INNOVATIVE COMPLIANCE COURSE
The healthcare industry is constantly evolving to meet ever higher standards and greater demands, making the practice of medicine more complicated and stressful than ever before. Additionally, the possibility of lawsuits due to alleged malpractice adds a layer of personal risk for physicians.
To keep up with the rapidly changing healthcare industry and offer a more effective way for physicians to receive the required training for insurance against malpractice, Physicians Reciprocal Insurance (PRI) sought to take a new direction with their current training for insured physicians.
PRI challenged AllenComm to create a fresh, impactful, and transformational course that would be perceived by physicians as a valuable use of their time.
“All of the AllenComm team are quintessentially professional and creative and so very hard working. The best decision we ever made was to come to AllenComm.”
Team Member, Physicians Reciprocal Insurance
AllenComm approached this challenge by first gaining the learner’s attention with a motion graphic that made the case for why a specific behavior was necessary for the healthcare industry. The included case studies used either statistics and studies, or quick experience stories. We then used research, case studies, quick illustrative exercises and video interviews with physicians/researchers to present the ‘how’ and ‘why’ for the behaviors.
At the end of each module, learners interacted with a case during the patient safety rounds that focused on the learning objectives for that behavior. We worked with PRI to create five comprehensive modules that covered areas such as causes of diagnostic errors, strategies to improve clinical reasoning, self-care and mindfulness, and how to interact with patients and their families with empathy. To wrap up the course, learners complete a quick recall review of the topics covered in the course.
One challenge we faced was designing a learning experience for a group of accomplished subject matter experts. We knew that we would need to be thoughtful about how we presented information and the types of activities we designed for our highly educated audience. We also worked with PRI’s internal subject matter experts to refine our tone and how we spoke to the learner, in order to present a fresh and transformational experience usable for a dynamic audience.
The course was designed to empower physicians to:
- Increase resilience
- Strengthen clinical reasoning to improve decision-making
- Use their teams to increase patient safety
- Enhance empathy and engagement with patients and families
- Bronze Brandon Hall HCM Excellence Awards for Best Custom Content
- Silver Davey Award Websites for Training Websites
- Gold Aurora Award for Interactive Media in Training
- Bronze Horizon Award in Website Health and Human Services for "Clinical Reasoning, Resilience, and Teamwork"
- Bronze Horizon Award in Responsive Mobile Designs for "Clinical Reasoning, Resilience, and Teamwork"
- Gold Horizon Award in Video Instruction for "Clinical Reasoning, Resilience, and Teamwork"
- Bronze Horizon Award in Video Instruction for "Clinical Reasoning, Resilience, and Teamwork"
- Bronze Omni Award in Education