PANERA BREAD EMBOLDENS NEW LEADERS TO RISE
Good leadership has a powerful impact on the experiences of bakery-café associates and creates a positive atmosphere for guests. With more than 2,000 bakery locations nationwide, Panera Bread recognized an opportunity to maximize its power to do good and demonstrate how much it cares about its employees, company culture, and customers with a new leadership training program.
In keeping with Panera company values, it wanted to improve the internal promotion process of assistant managers to general managers – a shift that would have a powerful positive transformational effect on its culture long term.
“AllenComm is very open to collaboration and feedback but came with a strong point of view. The expertise level is impressive, and the people are a real pleasure to work with. Felt like an extension of our team and that the commitment level to success never wavered.”
Scott Millward, Senior Vice President, Learning & Development, Panera Bread
AllenComm partnered with Panera to develop an advanced program focused on building confidence through competency. Management learners navigate their way through twelve online micromodules and three ILT sessions that help them build their team, create a feeling of belonging and community essential to Panera’s food culture, and strategize to prepare for challenges.
Participants learn skills to bridge the gap between acquiring a new skill during training and applying the new skill on the job by engaging in activities such as writing goals, answering questions, and reflecting on the daily application of new behaviors they’ve practiced.
what we did
PLANNING & ANALYSIS
AllenComm Performance Consulting services were deployed to resolve how core competencies were communicated to the workforce and to improve the application and assessment process for the Assistant Manager to General Manager promotion.
Design and development of a comprehensive blended learning program built with an iterative change process to include pre and post diagnostics for measurement and evaluation of competencies.
Phased rollout plan to ensure promotion readiness and an action plan to transfer core competencies training to on-the-job execution.
The course and activities:
- Encourage new leaders to practice and apply new leadership skills
- Increase internal promotion rates
- Retain skilled employees
- Improve quality of food and speed of service
- Cultivate a food culture that celebrates sustainable and nutritious food
- Build a diverse and supportive community
- Gold Horizon Interactive Award in Restaurant / Food Industry category
- Gold Horizon Interactive Award in Training / eLearning category
- Silver Horizon Interactive Award in Video – Instructional category
- Bronze Omni Award in Education
- Silver Brandon Hall Award for Best Advance in Creating a Learning Strategy
- Silver Brandon Hall Award for Best Unique or Innovative Leadership Development Program
- Silver Omni Award in Education Website category
- Gold Davey Award for Websites : Features Best Use of Navigation
- Silver Davey Award for Websites Training
- Silver Davey Award for Advanced Leadership Development