ALTAR’D STATE CUSTOMIZES ONBOARDING TO INCREASE SPEED TO COMPTENCY
How do you design an onboarding training that inspires, as well as maximizes growth and brand impact? Altar’d State – a national fashion, home décor, and gifts retailer – sought a new way to train their in-store brand representatives (salespeople) in keeping with their mission of “standing out for good in the world.”
Altar’d State needed new brand representatives to quickly reach proficiency in guest experience skills. They also needed to ensure a more consistent training approach across their store locations and provide an easier method for managers to oversee the training of new brand representatives.
- 1,200 EMPLOYEES
- EMPLOYEE ONBOARDING
- INSTRUCTIONAL DESIGN
- PERFORMANCE CONSULTING
- CONTENT DEVELOPMENT
- TRAINING STRATEGY
- ACTION PLANNER
- JOB AIDS
We created an innovative blended program that mixes online learning with real-world practice, application, and self-assessment, and we did it in a way that uniquely reflects Altar’d State. The look and language are customized to fit Altar’d State’s unique and beautiful brand, and reach an audience mainly composed of Millennial and Generation Z learners.
The proactive learning within the course has a little bit of everything: online activities, in-store activities, and a reflective journal to frame the learning experience and serve as a takeaway.
There’s also an element of gamification: different sections of the material are marked by different icons. Completing all sections that correspond to an icon that they wear on their special Altar'd State necklace. The necklace displays their name, accomplishments, and training milestones.
- Store managers spend half as much time training new people
- New brand ambassadors have positive talking points immediately
- Immediate significant drop in new brand ambassador turnover
- Training is easier to access, more flexible, and more interactive
- Number of emails with questions has decreased
- New brand ambassadors are more confident and able to work independently more quickly
- 2018 Silver Omni Award in Education
- 2019 Silver Telly in Education for Non-Broadcast, Altar'd State Onboarding and Performance Training